FNPc APNP FMCHC
Family Nurse Practitioner
When in high school, I was very withdrawn and had a hard time fitting in. This led to many issues including an eating disorder that haunted me well into college. Food was both my reward and punishment. Fortunately I had one of the most supportive professors who saw what was happening and became my biggest mentor. I was able to slowly overcome my eating disorder and graduated with high honors.
When I finally became a nurse I noticed distinct differences in the patients I cared for. Those who incorporated whole foods, regular exercise and had stress reduction techniques were more vibrant! This is what I wanted to see in myself and my patients. Thus my journey into Integrative and functional medicine began.
My husband and I purchased our farm in 2000 and the transition to an organic simpler lifestyle helped me to place the health of myself and family first. A value I hold strong and want to instill in the people I care for.
As I further educated myself, becoming a Family Nurse Practitioner learning about “root causes” of chronic illness including the gut-brain connection, thyroid, hormone imbalances and toxic exposures my passion grew. My personal history of both my Grandmother and Mother having Dementia was an added driving force. Listening to your story and health concerns is how I help you determine those “root causes” so I can begin to assist you in your health journey.
My philosophy of care is on the patient-practitioner relationship. This means I work with you to discover your very own mind, body, and spirit connection. As we’re all different, your lifestyle may not look the same as everyone else’s and your story is unique to you.
I work with you getting to know your story and your lifestyle to bring out the lifestyle steps you have within yourself to achieve health and wellness.
Personalized; Innovative Treatments
As a life-long learner, I am continually educating myself, sharing best practices, but also seeking innovative ideas that are personalized for you. I am here to help you achieve your goals through a root cause approach. The key is to re-balance your body given the right tools so that it can heal naturally and safely.
Getting to know you and your lifestyle is key. Using a Functional Medicine approach which encompasses listening to your story; including your history and concerns; utilizing a comprehensive set of diagnostic tools; plus personalized testing helps you to become the best version of yourself. I guide you in a step by step approach to your wellness including both mindset and lifestyle choices. You will have the tools to create optimal health in your body.
Family / Education
Education is key to helping you make the best choices for yourself and your family. In working together I give safe, natural options and you choose those tools that work within your lifestyle and your family’s to achieve wellness.
I am a Board-Certified Family Nurse Practitioner since 1998, and I have been incorporating Integrative approaches into my care ever since.
- I graduated from Alverno College in 1982 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing.
- In 1998 I completed my Masters of Science in Nursing from UW Oshkosh the Family Nurse Practitioner program.
- I completed my Herbal Certificate from Dr. Tierona Low Dog through the University of Arizona in 2002
- I am certified as a Holistic Stress Management Instructor through “Inspiration Unlimited” by Dr. Brian Luke Seaward.
- In 2010 I became Board Certified as an Advanced Holistic Nurse through the American Holistic Nurses Association.
- In 2012 I completed my Clinical Homeopathy through CEDH.
- I have completed all the modules through the Institute for Functional Medicine and am also a Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach.
- Trained in Dr. Dale Bredesen Program; Reversing Cognitive Decline
As a Family Nurse Practitioner I am a member of the:
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Institute of Functional Medicine
- Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
On a personal note
I live with my husband Gary on a 40 acre hobby farm. We raise organically fed free range chickens and turkeys. Gardening and growing organic fresh produce is a passion of mine including canning and dehydrating foods. We have two sons that are grown – Christopher and Colin. I am also avid outdoor enthusiast enjoying, gardening, hiking, water skiing snowshoeing and XC skiing in my spare time.