FNPc APNP FMCHC
Family Nurse Practitioner
My interest in Integrative and Functional Medicine started when I was a staff Nurse back in the 1980′s. I noticed early on the differences in recovery between patients who incorporated “holistic practices” as opposed to those who did not. I began to notice that those individuals who incorporated good nutrition, positive lifestyle practices such as regular exercise and stress reduction techniques were more vibrant! This is what I wanted to see in all my patients. Throughout the years I did more reading and my interest increased in various integrative approaches to maintaining health and wellness.
The purchase of our farm in 2000 seemed to jump start the process. I began asking myself how I could combine both the natural simplicity of home life, technology and progression of medicine into my practice to help families obtain and maintain wellness. In 2011 I began my own practice as a Family Nurse Practitioner including educating on the importance of nutrition and combining Integrative medical practices thus; C&S Holistic Family Health and Wellness was formed.
As with each and every one of us; our life evolves and our story continues to develop. As I continued to practice and educated myself and did research looking at “root causes” of illness and those triggers upstream I began educating myself in Functional Medicine. Learning about the gut-brain connection, thyroid, hormone imbalances, toxin exposures such as mold and heavy metals, my passion grew to understanding these connections more. My personal family history of my maternal grandmother passing from Alzheimer’s Disease and my Mother currently in a memory care facility with the same diagnosis, I realized my passion and mission is in education and prevention of underlying exposures that lead to inflammation that can cause disease. Seeing a patient, listening to their story including their life history these factors can be identified, treated and removed and even better prevented.
My philosophy of care is on the patient-practitioner relationship. It encompasses a mutual approach to care, focusing on the mind, body, spirit connection. In order to achieve health and wellness all three of these areas are integrated into everyone’s care.
Lifestyle interventions such as nutrition, movement, stress reduction sleep and your personal passions and joys in life are all a part of the healing process.
CredentialsI am a Board-Certified Family Nurse Practitioner since 1998, and I have been incorporating Integrative approaches into my care ever since.
- I graduated from Alverno College in 1982 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing.
- In 1998 I completed my Masters of Science in Nursing from UW Oshkosh the Family Nurse Practitioner program.
- I completed my Herbal Certificate from Dr. Tierona Low Dog through the University of Arizona in 2002
- I am certified as a Holistic Stress Management Instructor through “Inspiration Unlimited” by Dr. Brian Luke Seaward.
- In 2010 I became Board Certified as an Advanced Holistic Nurse through the American Holistic Nurses Association.
- In 2012 I completed my Clinical Homeopathy through CEDH.
- I have completed all the modules through the Institute for Functional Medicine and am also a Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach.
- Trained in Dr. Dale Bredesen Program; Reversing Cognitive Decline
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Institute of Functional Medicine
- Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
On a personal note
I live with my husband Gary on a 40 acre hobby farm. We raise organically fed free range chickens and turkeys. Gardening and growing organic fresh produce is a passion of mine including canning and dehydrating foods. We have two sons that are grown – Christopher and Colin. I am also avid outdoor enthusiast enjoying, gardening, hiking, water skiing snowshoeing and XC skiing in my spare time.